Saturday, March 22, 2014

Works. Worked. Working. . . .

"Works. Worked. Working"
9 x 12 Loose Art Journal Page on Watercolor paper

"Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. 
The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm Baaaaack! And happy to report that I'm once again up and running. Thanks for all of your kind comments and support during my unintentional hiatus. I promise to get back to everyone as soon as I possibly can. In the meantime, I have been active on Instagram (um, because I'm obsessed with it) and wanted to share a few process picts of said journal page as it was being created:

The background started with Gesso Relief (the process of stamping into wet gesso to create depth and texture) and a few swipes of bold neon colors

This is what it looked like when fully covered in acrylic

More texture was added by tearing up pieces of the newsprint covering my desk and adhering it to the background

Although I don't usually "pull" figures from my backgrounds, I clearly saw a wacky bird comprised of the torn pieces of newsprint and went with it

And I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the results

Washi tape, further stamping, a Swarovski crystal and vintage children's dictionary term completed the look

And there you have it: A funky Mommy Bird protecting her home. And, naturally, she Works. Worked. And is Working.

Happily liking to PPF . . . 


Kristin xo

29 comments:

Netty said...

Great fun page Kristin and loving the fab colours. Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

beautiful journal pages , such happy work, it always makes me smile, I have added you back on my new blog list, I hope you are well, take care ,

Giggles said...

I gasped with delight when I saw this wonderful whimsical bird...LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! What a fun happy piece! You rock!

Hugs Giggles

Saskia said...

Wow! I love this cute and bright bird!!! Awesome work that makes me laugh, thanks! :)

Sweet greetings from Belgium, Saskia

Mary Ann Potter said...

Bright and beautiful and whimsical! I'd say this has it all!

Annabelle said...

Adore your cute quirky birdie, so full of life! Lovely art work Kristin.

Annabelle m..m

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

I love your background and quirky birdy!!

Christine said...

lovely cheerful page!

Annie Claxton said...

LOOOOOve this! It's so vibrant and whimsical and it's great to see how it came together - inspirational! :o)

Little Artbee said...

I love your wonderful colourful artworks, made with lot of fantasy. You make paintigs which make the viewer happy. Very amazing!
Have a good time and keep drawing and painting.
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Carol Rigby said...

I love the bright colours and the little bird. Great page!

denthe said...

Oh, this really makes me happy ... love the bright colors and that bird is so cute. Wonderful work!

Linda Kunsman said...

Love the happy this creation brings to me-the colors, the textures, the whimsy- enchanting!!

Sarah (wonderstrumpet) said...

LOVE those neons!! Such a cute page.

Alexandra MacVean said...

Kristin,
This is an absolutely stunning piece. Your work just continues to grow and grow. I LOVE it! :)
Happy weekend!

Valerie-Jael said...

Just wonderful, full of happy colours! Hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

Just wonderful, full of happy colours! Hugs, Valerie

Faye said...

I love the whacky bird!

Carmen said...

Waaaaaw that texture shot is just yum! You are making me think I might need to try neons.

Love that funky bird :) Welcome back!

Joanna said...

Hurrah, you're back!

LOVE the colours of this artwork and the cute wacky birdie :) Your artwork is always evolving, Kristin, you are super-cool!

x

pelangsing wsc biolo ampuh said...

art is good

Unknown said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing your process with us. it is amazing to see.

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

I always LOVE the colors you use. :)AND I love that you love Instagram too! That way I can stay connected since I am blog neglecting! Looking forward to Summer of Color this summer. Can it seriously be the 4th one!?

Natasha said...

What kind of paints are they? I love them. So vibrant and lush. And that bird? I adore it. :)

And now i am up to date over here after my own hiatus. :)

Jeannette said...

Wow, wonderful happy painting,love the colors and the cute bird,amazing work,love it.

XXX Jeannette

Beckerman Girls said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE all of these gorgeous illustrations! U r sooo talented!
kisses
xoBeckerman Girls

www.BeckermanBlog.com

Unknown said...

Oh, how I love this!! Just truly amazing! I just love my visits to your blog!!

K J D said...

I'm playing catch up again!

This is so 'you' and of course I LOVE it!

Karenxxx

Renee Dowling said...

The bright colours are so cheerful. The bird you pulled out of the painting is so whimsical. I noticed you used some page from an old workbook! Great idea.